Taylor McCaffrey is seeking a Corporate and Commercial Legal Assistant to join our team. As one of Manitoba’s largest law firms, this is a great opportunity to join a thriving law firm and industry leader.
This position will be responsible for providing legal assistance support to a senior partner in the areas of corporate and commercial law, real estate, and will and estates.
Duties and Responsibilities
Independently manage and organize the daily operation of a busy Corporate & Commercial, Real Estate, and Wills and Estates practice.
- Practice area duties:
- Ability to administer sale and purchase real estate matters from start to finish
- Ability to conduct real estate searches (tax, title), company searches, and Personal Property Registry searches
- Order documents from LTO (online or PRA form)
- Prepare, register, and report mortgages
- Perform interest calculations and prepare statements
- Ability to take instructions and assist in the drafting of Wills, Powers of Attorney and Health Care Directives
- Knowledge of Estate files and ability to file Estate documents with the Court of Queen’s Bench and LTO as applicable
- Prepare, draft, edit and finalize closing agendas and all transactional documents relating to corporate, lending and real estate transactions
- Administrative duties including:
- Dictation – letters, email and court documents
- Administer accounting transactions, opening and closing files, billing, expenses etc.
- Maintain lawyers’ schedule including meetings, phone calls, and events
- Enter lawyer time, prepare invoices; general and trust deposits of cheques
- Organize and manage files
- Monitor phone calls and sort incoming mail
- Produce and finish reporting letters
- Coordinate meetings, doodle calendar
- Ability to prepare reports to clients, generally
- Drafting legal documents with instructions provided by lawyer
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned from time to time
- Must be customer service driven
- Be able to work independently and also work effectively as part of a team
- Handle a demanding workload and respond to changing priorities as needs arise
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to effectively and tactfully communicate with individuals within the firm and clients external to the firm
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and implement projects in a timely manner
- French – oral and written skills are an asset
Standard hours: 8:30 – 4:30
Job Type: Full-time
Taylor McCaffrey offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, which includes Health, Dental, Disability coverage, Insurance coverage and a Pension Plan.
Qualified candidates can submit their resume to:
Wendy Funk, B. Comm. (Hons), CPHR
Human Resource Manager