Lawrence has practiced family law for over 27 years and is known for excellence in the field.
Lawrence is known for crafting strategic solutions through careful planning, preparation, and collaboration with his clients in redressing a myriad of issues including: parenting; wealth preservation; resolving complex property cases often involving multiple layers of corporations, trusts and additional property related matters; support (child and spousal); and various other family related matters.
When necessary, Lawrence is known for being able to use his litigation skills successfully. Lawrence has been counsel on a large body of reported family law decisions and is very well experienced in the area.
Lawrence has been instrumental over the years in advocating not only for his clients, but also for family law reform nationally and here at home in Manitoba. Lawrence was actively involved in advocating for amendments to the Divorce Act. He has worked extensively on legislative reform respecting multiple matters in Manitoba, including amendments to The Arbitration Act which now provides for family arbitration.
Lawrence is a founder of FAMLI, the Family Arbitration Mediation Legal Institute. He is serving as the first President of that organization. He is also a founding member of NFLAC, the National Family Law Arbitration Course.
Lawrence is a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers an invitation only international organization specializing in family law issues. He has been a peer nominated Best Lawyer for years. He has been an invited speaker on various family law topics Provincially and Nationally. He has lectured at Universities in Canada and in the United States and has had many papers published all dealing with Family Law.
In addition to Lawrence’s work in family law, Lawrence is also a Human Rights Adjudicator determining human rights complaints in Manitoba. Lawrence was appointed and re-appointed to that position by different governments three times. He has written several decisions in the area.
- Wealth Preservation
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Sensitive High Level Litigation
- Collaborative Law
- Prenuptial & Cohabitation Agreements
- Separation Agreements
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- International Academy of Family Lawyers, Fellow
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba Inc., Past Member
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Institute of Canada Inc., Past Member
- Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution, Past Member
- Manitoba Council of Administrative Tribunals
- Canadian Bar Association, National Family Section, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Family Law Section Executive, Past-Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Family Law Section Legislative Changes Sub-Committee, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Past Council Member
- Manitoba Human Rights Board of Adjudication, Human Rights Adjudicator
- Organizing Committee of the Joint Bench/Bar/Law Society Family Law Program 2010-2014, Member and/or Presenter and/or Co-Chair
- 20th Anniversary of the Manitoba Unified Family Court, Past Co-chair
- Court of Queen’s Bench Costs Committee, Past Member
- Court of Queen’s Bench Miscellaneous Committees, Past Member
- Jewish Child and Family Services, Former Board Member, Former Ethics Committee Member
- TM Workplace Safety and Health Committee, Past Chair
- Manitoba Crafts Council, Past Chair
- Manitoba Law Society, Practice and Ethics Committee, Past Member
- Mediation Internship Pilot Project/Manitoba Justice, Lawyer/mediator
- Family – Family Arbitration Mediation Legal Institute – Founder
- Manitoba Association Mid Winter – Speaker & Presenter
- University of Winnipeg – Lecturer – Occasional Guest